Front Line - International Foundation for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders
Front Line is the International Foundation for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders.
Front Line was founded in Dublin in 2001 with the specific aim of protecting human rights defenders at risk, people who work, non-violently, for any or all of the rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR). Front Line aims to address the protection needs identified by defenders themselves.
Front Line seeks to provide rapid and practical support to at-risk human rights defenders, including through:
- International Advocacy - on behalf of human rights defenders at immediate risk;
- Security Grants - to pay for the practical security needs of human rights defenders;
- Training and Resource Materials - on security and protection, including digital security;
- Rest and Respite - including the Front Line HRD Fellowship;
- Opportunities for Networking and Exchange - between human rights defenders, including at the biennial Dublin Platform;
- Front Line Award for Human Rights Defenders at Risk;
- 24 Hour Emergency Phone Support - for human rights defenders (Arabic, English, French, Spanish and Russia)
Human Rights Program Mission
Front Line works to ensure that the principles and standards set out in the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders are known, respected and adhered to on a worldwide basis.
The Declaration, which was adopted by consensus at the UN General Assembly, makes clear that all Governments have a duty to protect, promote and implement all human rights and fundamental freedoms. It states in article 1 that "'Everyone has the right, individually and in association with others, to promote and to strive for the protection and realization of human rights and fundamental freedoms at the national and international levels.'"
Last Updated: Oct 7, 2010
c/o Liquidnet, Inc.
498 Seventh Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, New York 10018
Fax: + 1.646.381.7587
The International Human Rights Funders Group (IHRFG) is a global network of donors and grantmakers committed to advancing human rights around the world through effective philanthropy.